Dermal Fillers: What They Are and How They Can Enhance Your Appearance
Looking to reverse the hands of time? Dermal fillers are one most sought-after treatments in the beauty industry, as they are highly effective at reversing signs of aging, they provide immediate results and they involve no downtime.
There are many factors that contribute to aging skin such as genetics, thinning of the skin, UV rays, stress, lack of hydration and more. Dermal fillers can reverse these signs of aging by restoring lost volume in the face.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that can be injected in various dermal planes to help restore lost volume, enhance facial contour, and soften fine lines and wrinkles. There are several types of dermal fillers, the most common one is hyaluronic acid (HA). Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring substance found in our skin, and it plays a major role in keeping skin hydrated and volumized. Learn more about dermal fillers
Each dermal filler has a specific texture, density, and formulation which are selected for specific purposes. Your aesthetic practitioner will choose a specific filler depending on which area and which dermal plane it requires to be injected in.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers offer several benefits:
- Smooth out fine lines, folds, and wrinkles
- Contour and sculpt the face
- Plump and enhance lips
- Restore your skin
- Boost collagen
- Provide immediate, long-lasting results
- Involve minimal to no downtime
- Deliver natural-looking results
What areas of the face can be treated with Dermal Fillers?
Dermal Fillers can be used in various areas of the face to achieve different results:
- Face: Dermal Fillers can add volume to the cheek, contour the chin and jaw, and soften marionette lines and nasolabial folds.
- Eyes: Dermal fillers can correct loss of volume and dark circles under the eyes.
- Lips: Dermal Fillers can create fullness, and definition, and smooth out wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth.
The Process of a Dermal Fillers Treatment Session
The process of a dermal filler treatment session typically includes the following steps:
- Consultation: Before your injection appointment, you will be offered a consultation to discuss your aesthetic goals, what you like, and what you would like to improve.
- Procedure Explanation and Consent: At your injection appointment, you will be talked through the procedure, and your practitioner will take you through the consent process. This is your opportunity to ask any questions that you may have.
- Numbing Cream (if applicable): Depending on the area being injected, the practitioner may apply a numbing cream to the area before injecting.
- Lidocaine in Fillers: Our fillers contain lidocaine, a local anesthetic that numbs the skin so once the filler is injected, you might stop feeling the procedure altogether.
- Preparation and Cleaning: Any numbing cream applied will be removed, and the areas of the face being treated will then be cleaned and marked, and your practitioner will put you in a comfortable position to have the treatment.
- Treatment Time: The treatment time will vary depending on how many areas are being treated. It can be uncomfortable and you may feel some stinging as the filler is injected but this should be very brief lasting no longer than a minute or two. Most people describe the procedure as uncomfortable, but very tolerable.
Are Dermal Fillers Safe? Are there any potential side effects, downtime, or recovery period?
Dermal Filler treatments are generally considered safe when done by a qualified practitioner. Recovery time varies for each patient and for each type of filler injected. You can resume most activities right away, but it is generally recommended that you avoid intense physical activity for the first 24-48 hours to minimize swelling and bruising.
Potential side effects of dermal fillers may include:
- A temporary “overfilled” appearance to treated areas
- Swelling or bruising ranging from mild to severe
- Temporary numbness or redness
- Palpable lumps or hard areas at the injection sites
- Hypersensitivity reaction can seem like an allergic reaction with hives and swelling
How long do the results of Dermal Fillers last?
The duration of dermal filler results depends on several factors, such as density, texture, the type of filler used, the area and depth of injection, and how fast each client’s body tends to break down or metabolize the filler.
- HA fillers, like Juvederm Dermal Fillers™ and Restylane™, tend to last 6-18 months depending on density and depth of injection.
- Synthetic fillers tend to last 2 years or even longer.
It is best to speak to your injector to choose the right filler for you.
What is the cost of Dermal Fillers?
The pricing of dermal fillers is customized to your individual needs, as there are many different brands and types of fillers available. Dermal fillers are priced per syringe, and multiple syringes may be needed to obtain the desired result. The number of syringes required will be discussed with you prior to any treatment being performed.
Jack Nathan MedSpa also provides discounts on purchasing multiple syringes.
Dermal Fillers at Jack Nathan MedSpa
At Jack Nathan MedSpa, we offer Juvéderm™ and Teosyal™. These two dermal fillers are powerful hyaluronic acid-based and are used to restore volume and fullness to your face, hands, chest, and body.
We offer free consultations where our injector will come up with a treatment plan to meet your aesthetic goals.
Our certified, experienced injectors at Jack Nathan MedSpa will help you achieve your skin goals. Book your Juvéderm™ or Teosyal™ Dermal Fillers appointment today.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances used to restore lost volume, enhance facial contour, and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
How long do dermal fillers last?
The duration of dermal filler results varies but typically ranges from 6 to 18 months for hyaluronic acid fillers and up to 2 years for synthetic fillers.
Are dermal fillers safe?
Dermal filler treatments are considered safe when administered by a qualified practitioner. However, temporary side effects like swelling and bruising can occur.
What areas of the face can be treated with dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers can be used to add volume to the cheeks, contour the chin and jawline, correct under-eye volume loss, and enhance the lips.
Is there any downtime after dermal filler treatment?
Most people can resume their daily activities immediately after dermal filler treatment, but it’s advisable to avoid intense physical activity for the first 24-48 hours to minimize swelling and bruising.